How do we continue our professional development journey?
As we move through our careers and get exposed to more of what’s out there in the real world, it can be quite overwhelming to make sense of it all.
What software should I learn? What technology band wagons should I jump on to? What courses should I do? What professional accreditation should I obtain? What’s the difference between xAPI, LMS, SCORM, VR, AR and why should I care?
If you are just starting your industry journey, or you’re a seasoned learning professional since before that thing called the world wide web was born, there is always something more that we can learn.
So where do we start? Great question, glad you asked! if you are starting out, you may want to catch our blog post here . . .
Who to follow
To keep up to date with the latest movements and news, it may be worth following some people “in the know”. This is a great way to stay in touch with what is happening and new advances in the L&D and eLearning space.
We’ve put together a comprehensive list of industry thought leaders and innovators here, and we would welcome your comments and input! This list will continue to evolve.
In addition, each year a list of the top eLearning movers and shakers is published. The latest annual lists of the ‘Top’ most influential people in the corporate eLearning sector – in the World, North America, Europe, the UK and Asia-Pacific can be found by following sites like the eLearning Industry > Learning Trends topic.
Articles and blogs
There are a number of sites where you can access a range of articles and blogs on eLearning. Most of these can be set up so you subscribe to the site and receive regular emails featuring articles on eLearning content.
Some of these include:
- The eLearning Industry
- collection of eLearning articles, eLearning concepts, eLearning software, and eLearning resources submitted by the Top eLearning Authors.
- eLearning Feeds
- A collection of the 500+ top eLearning blogs.
- eLearning Weekly
- A Free eLearning Weekly Newsletter round-up of eLearning news and articles.
- eLearning Infographics
- A range of educational infographics
- Adobe eLearning Site
- The power of community breaks down all barriers to learning. From questions to blogs, testimonials to webinars, your contribution also helps your fellow e-learning professionals become better at their job.
- The Rapid eLearning Blog
- A collection of blogs related to eLearning development (with an Articulate focus)
There are also a number of tools that you can use to bookmark and aggregate other content to develop a collection of information relevant to you. Two of these tools include:
MOOCS and more
Further training and development is another option with easy access to other courses, both face-to- face and online.
- Investigate the range of courses available through the AITD – http://aitd.com.au/australian- institute-of-training-and-development-event-categories/courses
- Look at the free MOOCs that are available. This includes some of the courses offered by:
- Curatr – See http://www.curatr3.com/massive-open-online-courses/
- Coursera – See https://www.coursera.org/
Be social and interact
Be social and interact with others. Work out loud, share your stories and experiences, contribute to discussions and ask questions. You can do this both online and face-to-face.
Consider the following options:
- Join a Community of Practice, for example the AITD’s Community of Practice http:// aitd.com.au/australian-institute-of-training-and-development-event-categories/communities- of-practice
- Join a group on Linkedin, for example;
- Join a Meetup group
- Instructional Design & eLearning Meetup – https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/Instructional-Design-and-eLearning-Meetup/
- Adobe Captivate and eLearning Australia – https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/Adobe-Captivate-and-eLearning-Australia/
As you can see there are many options available to keep the learning journey going, and this is just the tip of the iceberg. We will continue to expand this page and add new opportunities, so please keep in touch.
Please feel free to read some of our other blog posts and subscribe using the subscribe form on each of the blog pages.
Hope to see you again soon!